This post may contain affiliate links. You pay the same and I get a small commission. /em>
These Word Problem Number Talks are the perfect supplement to your Word Problem unit. They are seriously NO PREP, highly engaging, and standards-based. Just present a pre-made math talk each day and let the math conversations begin! You won’t believe how your students’ number sense will soar with this simple yet highly effective activity.
UPDATE JULY 2020: WE’VE ADDED A UNIT COMPATIBLE WITH GOOGLE SLIDES.
THESE UNITS CAN BE USED ON INTERACTIVE WHITEBOARDS, ARE COMPATIBLE WITH GOOGLE SLIDES, OR CAN BE PRINTED OUT. ALL THREE VERSIONS ARE INCLUDED.
This Word Problem BUNDLE for addition and subtraction within 20 is all you need to turn your first grade students into math problem solver superstars.
Included in this BUNDLE is:
- 110 Word Problem based Number Talks for all 4 types of word problems with unknowns in all positions (BOTH Digital and Printable formats included)
- 120 Word Problem Independent Practice Worksheets for all 4 types of word problems with unknowns in all positions (includes an editable version as well)
- 176 Word Problems are included in the Numberless Word Problem Product. This product contains both a Digital and a Printable version of Numberless Word Problems AND Printable Student Problem Solving Worksheets
- Instructional Video that teaches students the 4 types of word problems
BENEFITS – We have thought of EVERYTHING for this BUNDLE
- get your students engaged in mathematical conversations that will increase their ability to reason mathematically as well as develop their computational fluency skills and their ability to think flexibly about numbers
WORD PROBLEM INDEPENDENT PRACTICE PAGES
- gives students the practice they need to independently solve word problems
- allows them to process the problem in their own way
- encourages flexible thinking by including ALL problem types with unknowns in ALL positions
- promotes reading problems carefully to identify which type of problem it is (joining, separating, part-part-whole, or compare) instead of quickly applying an operation
- very quick and easy for the teacher to implement
NUMBERLESS WORD PROBLEMS
- eliminates students absentmindedly adding or subtracting numbers they see, because there aren’t any numbers there – at first, anyway
- helps you introduce addition and subtraction word problem types to your students in a fun and engaging way
Year after year we have had students who struggled with processing and answering word problems. And it’s no wonder they do. Most of our students need to be able to solve all 4 types of word problems (joining, separating, part-part-whole, and comparing) with the unknown in all positions. This is no easy task. We learned that we need to TEACH our students the different word problem types and give them LOTS of practice solving problems. Once we began to do this, as well as incorporate number talks and numberless word problems, our students’ abilities to solve word problems soared to new heights.
THIS RESOURCE IS HELPFUL FOR:
-Busy First Grade Teachers
-Special Education Teachers
-Whole Group Math Instruction
-Small Group Math Instruction
Wishing you joyful engagement in your primary classroom.
There are no reviews yet.